About this Research Study:
About Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema:
This study is recruiting approximately 48 adults who have mild to moderate atopic dermatitis (which is a type of chronic eczema).There are additional criteria that are included in the questionnaire on this website (www.NoAtopicDermStudy.com/questions.aspx) and some that are reviewed by the team at the research center at the first visit.
If eligible, participation can last about 7 weeks, including up to 5 weeks for screening, and up to 2 weeks using the study product.
Participants will be required to visit the study center 3 or 4 times to meet with the study doctor and staff.
The study medication (a topical cream) will be provided to you by the study doctor or staff. You will use the product 2 times each day for 2 weeks.
Participants will be assigned to 1 of 3 treatment groups randomly. You have a 75% chance of receiving the study medication, and a 25% chance of receiving a placebo.
You might have to stop taking your regular medication or therapy during the study and up to 12 weeks before beginning to apply the study medication. Do not discontinue any medication unless you are advised to do so by the study center staff or your primary care physician.
The research centers are located in multiple states within the United States.
There is no cost to you or your insurance provider for participating in the research study.
No, health insurance is not needed in order to participate.
Research studies are designed in specific ways to test the investigational medication for safety and effectiveness. One or more of the answers that you provided were outside of the guidelines for this study. This does not mean you will not qualify for different research studies.
Eczema is a general term for describing inflammation of the skin. The term “eczema” is often used in place of “atopic dermatitis”, but there are 8 different types of eczema with different causes, symptoms, and treatments. Atopic Dermatitis is a chronic (long-lasting) form of eczema with repeating flare-ups which are thought to be caused by a combination of genetics and external factors such as allergens, heat, irritants, and sweat.
All eczema causes various levels of itching, and redness. Some types of eczema cause flaky, or crusty skin while others cause tiny blisters with watery liquid inside. Atopic dermatitis is a chronic (long-term) inflammatory skin disease with repeated flare-ups of red, raised or swollen bumps or sores that are itchy and can leak clear liquid.
Atopic dermatitis is not contagious! It is caused by a person’s limited ability to repair damage to the skin. External irritants (allergens, heat, sweat, and others) can enter the skin and activate the immune system causing inflammation, redness, and itchiness. There are genetic connections as well, so if your family has a history of eczema, hay fever, or asthma, you are at a higher risk to have eczema.
People with Atopic Dermatitis can feel the impact on many different scales. While some will suffer from sleepless nights due to itchiness, others will have depression from isolation, or anxiety from flare-up prevention. Some people with Atopic Dermatitis find they miss out on what they consider normal in life such as productivity at work, time with family/friends, exercise, sunshine, freedom to wear certain clothes, hot showers, and more. Atopic Dermatitis can be a burdensome condition.